Job Title: Java Back-end Engineer – Senior Software Engineer
Job Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Company Overview: Here at Ooma we empower people to connect in smarter ways. We do this by creating powerful communication experiences through our cloud-based platform to bring people together at work and at home. Our solutions help small business owners stay connected with their customers and manage their businesses from anywhere. For larger companies we provide customized unified communications solutions to meet their unique needs. At home, we help our customers connect with their loved ones by providing the #1 rated VoIP phone service available. We also provide them with peace of mind though our innovative smart home security solution. At Ooma, all our products and services are priced competitively, because we believe advanced technology should be accessible to all.
Every day, we strive to uphold our brand values:
We care that everyone loves their Ooma experience.
We think big to innovate and revolutionize markets.
We create smarter solutions that uniquely deliver both superior experiences and superior value.
We embrace diversity of thought to make the best decisions.
We respect that problems are best solved by fact-based discussions and positive intent.
We choose to be a force for good in the world.
Working at Ooma means being a team player, while allowing your individual voice to come through. And, you'll receive competitive compensation, benefits and generous company perks.
About the position
We are seeking a highly motivated individual passionate about playing a critical role in the Talkatone product and infrastructure. You will be responsible for implementing and maintaining all aspects of Talkatone’s distributed back-end, which handles millions of transactions worldwide on a daily basis.
Talkatone is a mobile app for Android and iOS with over 1 million monthly active users, providing free US and Canadian phone service to users in North America and beyond. Talkatone monetizes through a mix of mobile ads and in-app purchases.
Desired Skills and Experience
You have experience building, scaling and operating high-availability back-end solutions in Java, including real-time systems that handle high volumes of concurrent sessions and transactions. You are familiar with both NoSQL and SQL datastores, and how to scale them for volume and reliability.
- Develop and maintain the back-end aspects of all features of the Talkatone mobile apps
- Work closely with Talkatone’s front-end developers (Android/iOS) and Talkatone QA
- Assist Customer Support in troubleshooting and resolving large-scale service issues
- Execute against the Talkatone Product Roadmap (back-end)
- Provide input in product planning process and new features
- Strong Java server-side skills required; preferably experience with developing real-time high availability services utilizing advanced Java frameworks (NIO, concurrency)
- Experience building and scaling high-volume SQL and noSQL datastores (MySQL, Cassandra, Hazelcast) for mission-critical applications
- Computer Science or Electrical Engineering degree preferred
- Experience with mobile voice, messaging and/or mobile ads is desirable; VoIP experience (SIP, RTP, RTPS, XMPP, media processing, etc) is a big bonus
- Good scripting skills in Python/Jython and general Unix scripting
- Excellent analytical thinking and problem-solving abilities
- Must be a Self starter, motivated, detail oriented, and have the ability to work collaboratively with others, including remote teammates
Ooma™ is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.